k^infinity to http://kpowerinfinity.spaces.live.com/ & http://kpowerinfinity.wordpress.com

Pushing the limits ... to infinity! This blog has now been split into two. My personal blog is now located at Live Spaces and my more technical blog is located at Wordpress

Monday, May 16, 2005

Not-so-Sleepy in Seattle

I've been lazy again. I arrived in the US of A almost two weeks ago, and haven't penned down my escapades as yet. It is essential that I do it fast now, before amnesia catches up.

First of all, the flight from India. Mostly eventful except for the fact that in Amsterdam, my transit point, we went to see this "art" museam. I still have a question there: how can you draw arbitrary lines and call it modern art. A tree with boxes more wooden that the tree itself! A equestrian in tiles! random horizontal lines which represent something (I hope)! Any of my readers who follow modern art could kindly enlighten me on this very esoteric art form. Conclusion: I could be a modern artist, I would just need to know logo(a very old and since forgotten computer language).

Another fact: Indian airplanes are better (and newer) than foreign ones. At least the air hostesses are better (and newer). Who cares about anything else anyway :D

The Schipol airport (at Amsterdam) is in itself a work of art. Huge, really huge, giant corridors in which people keep ambling at all hours of the day. Full of life, full of energy and vitality. And when you step into the Sea-Tac (the Seattle-Tacoma airport) is seems puny at best. Very dull, very dry very boring. Even the walls feel sleepy.

And the worst part is that you got to pay for getting a strolley. A full two dollars! (90 bucks! OMG!!! I wouldn't pay that much for a Coolie ;-)). Yes, that's the way Indian's would react when they come here. The conversion factor seems to be at the back of every Indian's mind when he comes to the States, and inadvertently the multiplication circuit embedded in our brains works overtime. When you pay 3000 bucks for a taxi ride, the expletives come naturally for people who developed the Gold Standard.

Another fact: Redmond is not the usual America. It is almost a small town, tiny houses (but very beautiful), neat lanes, manicured sidewalks, swift but easy traffic, loads of cars, no public transport :-(. And since I don't have a car, you got to walk for 3 hours (to and fro) to get groceries. Who wants to eat ?

At the same time, for a bunch of three guys just out of teens, study in a college, and dont' know how to "homemake", it can be really terrible living in an apartment. Now, who is gonna tell me how much of washing powder to put in the washer ! Any dhobis around? I am willing to pay upto 50 cents a shirt (man! that's 22 bucks!!). But just remove that tea-stain!

Then again, one thing good about America is the sheer variety of juices and fruits available. I have had some of the most luscious apples, stiff bananas, and juicy grapes! And the number of juices on offer, wow! Buy a gallon of tropicana and get another free! I since decided to give a wide berth to "plain" water. I have been surviving on juices. I would not be surprized if estimates would predict a consumption far above normal!

Since, I have touched upon drinking, fooding definitely happens to be the next stop, which is definitely a let down. I somehow can not be convinced that people could eat bread, sandwich and salad all their life! And be happy with it !!! Gourmet opportunities for vegitarians are pretty limited and even for those who lie on the borderline case (like me: eat non-veg but couldn't do it everyday) lunch-time is definitely not something we would look forward to. One more thing, for all those coming to the US, be forewarned: at least go to all kinds of exotic restaurants and mug up the names (and meaning) of edible dishes. Or you would end up like me. Ordering a pasta for $5, and all you get is noodles in white sauce with some cheese! And yes, bring loads of ready-to-eat, heat-n-cook, heat-n-eat, anything you wanna call it !

And yes the story of the journey: Dogs certainly have a lot of respect in the US. For one, get to sit in the cars with fancy straps identifying them (while we lesser mortals have to walk!). Their food packets are bigger than ours, biscuits are cheaper, life is much better! The other day one of my friends (and apartment-mate) was buying a razor since his own was confiscated on the flight. A lady beside him bought a better looking and definitely more expensive one, but, alas, for her dog! It's a dog's world after all!!!

13 Comments:

  • At 11:54 pm, Blogger Arvind Iyer said…

    Do they have green trees in US ?
    How many blondes ?
    What are you there for ? (I know its training..but what kind ?)
    Whats your name pronunciation mutilated on? (or will you resort to KK ?)

     
  • At 12:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey KK....
    I had to pay $3 dollars for a trolley at JFK and about the dogs..you are right man..sometimes i think a dog is so lucky,staying so near to the hearts of American Blondes...:D...

     
  • At 12:53 am, Blogger Akruti said…

    Goodluck:)

     
  • At 1:44 am, Blogger kpowerinfinity said…

    2arvind: already replied on ur blog

    2vinay: dont go further :D

    2akruti: thanks !

     
  • At 11:52 pm, Blogger Calvin said…

    lol.. welcome to america dost.. things are done a little differently here. ;-)

    as for eating, man.. you gotta learn how to cook.. fast! good luck :-)

     
  • At 11:58 pm, Blogger kpowerinfinity said…

    2TheFreeSoul: lol. dont get much time now a days to venture into others blogs.

    2saurabh: I know !!! But its far too complicated :P

     
  • At 1:37 am, Blogger SK said…

    abe 3 saal kgp mein rehne ke baad bhi khane ki problem ho rehli hai?? noodles bhi nahi milte hain kya?? I'm sure woh srivastav se ganda nahi bana sakte hain.

     
  • At 1:51 am, Blogger Himadri Mayank said…

    NJOI.. n itz not strange.. me njoing too @ KGP

     
  • At 8:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Give yourself some tme and I am sure you will end up loving all that!

    :))

    J

     
  • At 7:30 pm, Blogger Dipika said…

    Slog!

    As an IITian that is your fate! :)

     
  • At 8:30 pm, Blogger Anu said…

    Kpower,

    I am going to take my first trip to US in a few months... so this was a real good read.. n i guess have to carry the eaasy stain remover around with me too :))
    Anu

     
  • At 10:51 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    best of luck, worse case here...but will tell u in person

     
  • At 3:54 pm, Blogger Pallavi said…

    hahah hope you enjoy your stay :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home