k^infinity to http://kpowerinfinity.spaces.live.com/ & http://kpowerinfinity.wordpress.com

Pushing the limits ... to infinity! This blog has now been split into two. My personal blog is now located at Live Spaces and my more technical blog is located at Wordpress

Monday, October 04, 2004

Vindication, at last...

Well, I did fret a lot in my last post; thank you guys for bearing with me.

At IIT Kgp, we have two kinds of events in the Social n Cultural Calendar: Open IIT and Inter Halls. Open IITs are the ones which are open to every hall, but since they do not contribute to the General Championship, there is not much competition there. The Inter Halls is where the real action is. For days before the event, halls start preparing for the events, practising again and again, honing their skills, editing their speeches one more time, getting just the right intonation on that word, another chapter of the quiz book, and so on it goes.

Now, the event I had written about earlier was Open IIT English Elocution, in which I recited a piece from the Lord of the Rings; more specifically the part in the Return of the King when Smeagol does that marvelous monologue where he makes an insidious plan to lead Frodo and Sam to the lair of Shelob, the ancient poisonous spider. The piece obviously was a difficult one; and other than a few problems with the mike initially I did it pretty well. And that is why I did not expect to be placed even in the top 15, and what happened after that can be very easily guessed from my last post.

After that, last Saturday we had the Inter Halls. We have a guy in our hall who is absolutely awesome in elocution, but somehow he could not go for the event. After a lot of practicing and selection which went on for almost 3 hours, no less, I was selected to be one of the two to represent the hall.

The only problem was that I was fearing my throat would not hold, because in that piece I had to generate a sum total of 5 distinct voices. Somehow, everything went well; I went on stage and although I was nervous as hell [my legs were shaking while speaking], I could give a decent performance.

...
...
...

AND WE WON THE GOLD!!!

Current Mood: Elated!
Current Music: I am sitting on an IBM thin client, which sadly has no speakers :-(

9 Comments:

  • At 8:38 am, Blogger Calvin said…

    hey kk..

    well done!! congrats boys, and keep RK's & CTM's english soc-cult tradition alive!!

    mittra!

     
  • At 10:11 am, Blogger Akruti said…

    congratulations,let all the success be urs, remember, when u r the best no one can beat u.keep it up, and keep going

     
  • At 11:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "And that is why I did not expect to be placed even in the top 15" -- hmm....wasn't it supposed to mean "And that is why I did not expect NOT to be placed even in the top 15??"

    no load however..it seems ppl understood what you were trying to say...

    kb

     
  • At 1:37 pm, Blogger kpowerinfinity said…

    Thanks KB for pointing that out. I was writing this blog in the dead of the night, with my eyes half-closed, and I hope you guys will ignore any typos, etc.

     
  • At 5:54 pm, Blogger Chirayu said…

    Congrats KPower :-)

     
  • At 5:14 am, Blogger Ravi Handa said…

    Abe tum hall ke jitne pe itna thrill ho raha hai.. be frank, does it matter to u tht much?

     
  • At 1:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thats wonderful, Kpower! Happy for ya n congrats...

    ~Jahnvi.

     
  • At 2:47 am, Blogger SK said…

    So KK,
    Actually I had read this one in the evening. Well, congrats for the gold.

     
  • At 12:10 pm, Blogger kpowerinfinity said…

    hi teju, well let's see... you go ahead to Athena... take a BA one way flight... and look for me, if you find me, trt is all yours, if not... sorry bad luck, but you wud have to somehow figure out how to come back...

    mittra: yes we will maintain the literary tradition of CTM.. don worry

    handa: i have replied to you on your blog... however, i can understand u not being enthusiastic about such trivialities as hall tempo in your superfinal year, but i guess it very much does exist among many other of our species, and let us give them due credit :-)

    rest: thanks for your "sweet" words ;-)

    kpowerinfinity

     

Post a Comment

<< Home